Sunday, December 21, 2008

Cross country pasture skiing

Over the weekend I went for another cross country ski run around my pasture. The snow was much deeper now and my "skiing" was merely breaking track through the deep snow. Yes, that is my ski in the first photo.


On my "to-do" list for next year is to make a gate through the fence closer to the river. If you think it is a hassle to normally cross a barb wire fence, try doing it while wearing cross-country skis! I made it over the north/middle pasture fence but it was complicated. No, I didn't feel like taking my skis off, though in the future I will.

I saw some deer tracks crossing north and south through my pastures. Usually the deer travel west/east from the river area to the creek across the road to the east.

As you can see in the second photo another tree has blown over. This tree is one of two that had died a few years ago. Being much smaller this tree will be easier to drop to the ground than the tree I just finished with in November.


Here are river views. The river hasn't completely frozen over in deep areas or where the rapid movement slows ice formation. Some animal crossed the river over the ice that stretches from bank to bank in the middle of the photo. I couldn't tell what kind it was from the tracks. The animal was light as the ice is not thick.


Here the river did freeze along the north pasture since the last time I skied here a few days prior. This is not a very deep area.


Here was my view heading back from the river.

No comments: