Saturday, September 26, 2009

Quartz Lakes

Saturday, September 26, I hiked the Quartz Lakes loop in Glacier Park with Joyce, Patti and Gene. This is a hike I've been wanting to do for some time now.  As it is in the NW corner of the Park it is not the easiest to reach, especially as one has to drive 40 miles or so on the rough North Fork road.


The hike's distance was 12.8 miles.  We hiked the loop clockwise. We first hiked 6.2 miles over the ridge that lies between the Bowman and the foot of Quartz Lake gaining 1800 ft up before descending 1600 ft.  Then we hiked 3.1 miles along Middle Quartz Lake and to the foot of the Lower Quartz Lake.  The return to the start at Bowman Lake was 3.5 miles with another climb of 1000 ft over the ridge before dropping 1200 ft to the start.

The climb back to the ridge top from Lower Quartz Lake was less in elevation but much steeper than to Quartz Lake.  Now that I have done the complete loop I agree with Patti that the best part is the hike to Quartz Lake.

Patti had hiked this loop a few years ago and was willing to do this hike again with Gene, Joyce and I who all had never hiked the loop.  Even though I had been up the rough North Fork road a few days earlier I was willing to go on it again so soon.  Patti drove and her Subaru has a smoother ride than my car.

It was a slightly cool but reasonable morning when we started our hike.  With clear skies the sun warmed the day up to be perfect.  The forecast was for high winds in the afternoon because of a cold front and jet stream. While it became windy we were sheltered in the trees.  We could hear the wind in the tree tops and see them sway.

The hike up the ridge was through mature trees and thin undercover.


The hike down from the ridge top to Quartz Lake was through a young forest and we had good views of all lakes.



Once we reached Quartz Lake we were able to sit on the small pebble gravel beach and still be warm.  Patti, Joyce and I took our shoes off and waded in the lake and found it not to be as cold as we had expected.  Still no one went for a swim as we hadn't brought swim clothes. Naturally when I waded in the water I pushed the limit and got the bottom of my shorts wet.  In the warm sun they dried in the hour plus we were there.

The lake is quite beautiful with the mountains all around.  Several of us called this lake "Little Bowman" as the mountain views reminded us of Bowman Lake.



Gene is a big fan of Subway sandwiches. This year he decided to pack a sandwich along on our hikes as he never cared for eating his granola/power/energy bars.  He's always made a dry comment about cardboard when eating them.


The campground is right on the lake.


A camper was wading and fishing in the distance using a floater.  The other camper was an older man from Georgia who had came just to camp and relax three days at this lake.

When it came time to leave I asked the Georgia camper to take a photo of our group at the lake.  It wasn't until much later when the group was taking a break on the ridge before hiking back down to Bowman Lake that I realized I had left my flannel shirt behind at Quartz Lake. I had taken it and other stuff out of my pack and set them on a log while I got food to eat.  In my hurry to have the Georgia man take our photo I forgot to put my shirt back into the pack. 

Before leaving the lake we stopped by the patrol cabin and checked it out.  Bears must be a problem as the door was full of nails and the windows were barred.




The hike between Quartz Lake and Lower Quartz Lake was through a mature forest with a dense undercover, and area where one would not want to go off trail and bushwhack.

We stopped at Lower Quartz Lake to rest and snack.  Several groups were camping at the lake.  A young couple were fishing from fallen tree logs below the food prep area.  At one point he slipped off the log into the lake and used a naughty word when doing so.

While at the food prep area we had heard lots of giggling and laughing.  We met this group of campers when we left.  They were very early 20s people: three girls and one guy.  They moved off a narrow log bridge over the river outlet from the lake  so we could cross.  They planned to fish but I think they were having too much fun giggling and laughing.




The hike back up the ridge was through a young forest and the other side was back to the mature forest with the littler undergrowth.



There were more people boating on Bowman Lake than I expected.  When we started our hike several people left on motorboats, which I had never seen on the lake before. The campground host (a jovial portly woman volunteer from Ohio) was there to check that their motors were 10 hp or less.  When we returned, kayakers were out and about on the lake.

The Bowman Lake view was better in the morning than the afternoon as it was hazy from forest fire smoke.


On the way home we stopped at the Polebridge Merc so Patti and Joyce could buy some of the Merc's delicious baked goods to munch on the way home.  Gene and I soaked in the atmosphere of the store. Each time I visit the store I see something I never noticed before.

No comments: