Thursday, August 20, 2009

Crazy shortcut to Redgap Pass

Thursday August 20 I went on a long 18 mile hike in Glacier Park. For part of the hike Joyce and I went 'off trail' on a "shortcut" between Ptarmigan Tunnel and Redgap Pass.

I have lots of photos from the hike to go through (though hardly any photos from the craziest part of the hike when I was trying to find the route while on the side of the mountain - go figure ). For now here are a few photos showing the beginning and then near the end of the "shortcut".

Connect the letters to find our route at the start of the "shortcut".



Here is the other side of the mountain where we came down. I included the second photo as a closer look to help you find the route. See it?


Since I accomplished getting across the "shortcut" in one piece, I decided that next week I will hike/climb to the top of Mt Henkel.  Henkel is the highest point in the photo below. Apparently it is a 4000 ft climb and this photo shows the route.




A few days after my hike, on Saturday the hiker in blue fell 300 ft and died in Glacier Park. He was hiking in the same valley where Joyce and I went off trail, but he was hiking west of Ptarmigan Tunnel while I was hiking NE of the tunnel. He was hiking in an area I would like to hike someday.

No comments: