Monday, August 15, 2011

Kayaking for the first time

As I mentioned in the previous post, after Patti, Mary and I returned from our hike to Numa Ridge Lookout, we relaxed by Bowman Lake.  Patti brought her kayak along so I could try it out.  I had never kayaked before.

Patti's kayak is wide so it doesn't tip easily. It was easy to learn to use.  One disadvantage of her wide kayak is that it didn't track straight.  Often I would have to make extra strokes on one side to keep the kayak straight as equal strokes sometimes would cause the kayak veer one way or the other.

Once I completed a test run I got my camera and headed out on the lake.  Bowman Lake is long.  I believe it may be 7 miles long and 1 mile wide.  I don't know how far I paddled, but I guess less than 1 mile of its length.  I did paddle up one side, cross the lake, then paddled back to the foot where Patti and Mary were waiting.  I paddled near, but not beyond, the narrow point in the following photo.

Lots of other people were on the lake in kayaks, canoes, and two guys on stand-up paddle-boards.

I had fun kayaking and now I want to get a kayak.

Views of Bowman Lake.



Looking towards Numa Ridge Lookout.


This view is looking back at the foot of the lake.








No comments: