Saturday, May 30, 2015

Upper Quartz Lake

Saturday May 30, Patti and Linda and I hiked to Upper Quartz Lake in the NW part of Glacier National Park.  It seemed like I had been to this lake more than four times, but based on my photos this was the fourth time.


The hike was 13 miles round trip. The trail goes over the Cerulean Ridge so our hike gained 1800 ft before descending 1600 ft.  Of course, when we returned to the trail head we had to go back up and down the Cerulean Ridge.

Due to the low amount of snow this past Winter there was no snow on the top of the Cerulean Ridge.  The few streams we crossed were lower this year also.

At the Bowman Lake campground, where the trail started, were these signs.  Apparently a mountain lion recently chased a deer through the campground in broad daylight and caught and killed the deer.  The Park rangers later removed the rest of the deer so the lion wouldn't return again.


Bowman Lake at the start of our hike in the morning.

Bowman Lake at the end of our hike in the afternoon. The Cerulean Ridge is on the right side of the photo.


Hiking up to the Cerulean Ridge.

Indian Paintbrush wild flowers.

Early beargrass

One stream crossing

Coming down the top of the ridge I noticed the trees have really grown since I was last here in June 2011.  There used to be many more views of the Upper and Lower lakes.

Upper Quartz Lake as seen from just below the top of the Cerulean Ridge.

Lower Quartz Lake as seen from just below the top of the Cerulean Ridge.

Quartz Lake with Vulture Peak in the background left of center.

At Quartz Lake a butterfly took a liking to me.   It would sit on my shirt... my arm.. my hand... even my hat.  When we left the lake the butterfly stayed on my hat for at least a half mile or more of hiking from the lake before flying off.



No comments: