Saturday, June 25, 2011

Virginia Falls

On June 25 Patti and I hiked to a number of waterfalls in the St Mary area of Glacier Park.  2011 was a high snow and high water year so the streams and waterfalls were running high.  After we visited St Mary Falls we continued up the trail to Virginia Falls.


The trail is around 1.5 miles long from the Sun Road to Virginia Falls and it climbs 285 feet to the falls.  For the most part we followed Virginia Creek on our hike to the falls.

The water was coming down much more than any other time I have visited these falls. Usually I could stand where I took the last two photos and not get wet.  Not this time!  I got pretty wet in the very short time it took me to take the photos.









Here is a video of Virginia Falls. It is 2:39 long.   Several years ago a woman fell into the stream from the bridge seen in the video.  She was washed away and drowned.

http://youtu.be/8Ih-XeYPE0I

No comments: